What is Intensive Training?
This ten-day training is designed for clinicians who are interested in assessment and treatment planning based upon the Circle of Security approach. Learning will be focused on a systematic approach for evaluating parental states of mind, identifying precise strengths and linchpin difficulties in parent/child interactions, and creating specific treatment plans tailored to the unique themes of each parent/child dyad.
This training offers tools for competency in evaluation and treatment planning for the COS protocol. It does not imply certification in the full COS protocol. Certification for Level 1 of COS will be available to those passing a post-training examination. The cost for the examination will be $350. Attendance at this training does not enable practitioners to use the COS Parenting DVD. Use of the COS- P protocol requires an additional 4-day course of training.
Learning Objectives of the Training:
- The Strange Situation thru the lens of the Circle of Security
- The Circle of Security Interview
- Tracking key caregiver capacities, (reflective function, empathy, affect regulation, etc.)
- Differential diagnosis of the caregiver core sensitivity/style of relatedness
- Assessing the defensive style of the child
- Creating individualized treatment plans
The Circle of Security Intervention: Enhancing Attachment in Early Parent-Child Relationships, is highly recommended reading to prepare for this training. It can be seen as the manual for the 10 day training, and can be ordered from our COS Books page.
Who Should Attend?
We require that attendees be licensed in the mental health field as Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, Mental Health Counselors, etc.